Do you have access to paid leave?
Does your employer offer paid sick leave that allows you to take care of yourself or a family member when illness strikes? Do they offer what you think is sufficient paid maternity and paternity leave, for birth, adoption, and foster care, and for all new parents? That’s great news. Help your employer get recognized for making strong choices that support the needs of their employees and that build a better business:
- Work with your HR department to apply for a Working Mother Media Survey Award for your employer.
- Submit a positive review about your employer to Vault.com or to Glassdoor, to help job-seekers see it’s a great company to work for.
- Let your friends and family know that your employer is doing the right thing.
Do you think paid leave should become a national standard?
Whether you have access to paid leave or not, do you think it should become a national standard? Do you think all employees should be able to stay home to recover from the flu, and not risk losing their job? Do you think all employees should have access to paid time off for going to the doctor? Do you think all new parents should have the guaranteed opportunity to care for their child without fear of loss of income or loss of their job?
Here are some ways you can help make change:
- Send a message to Congress in support of the Healthy Families Act.
- Sign a petition in support of paid family leave and let Congress know you think change is needed.
- Join a movement in your city or state to help bring attention to this issue at the local level.
- Leave a comment below, and spread the word to others to get people talking about why this issue is important.